IRCC 7

The Seventh Annual Italian Renaissance Costuming Challenge


March 1 to June 30,  2017


HOME ENTRANTS FINALISTS RESULTS



Tina
Webster

Western Australia

 

 


I have been in the SCA a few years and this will be my third attempt at the IRCC. I have been sewing now for just over 3 years. I do not normally wear Italian garb. The IRCC is the only Italian garb I have made. Each year I try to improve on the previous year and also try something new.

My outfit this year is inspired by peasants' working dress. I know a few others have entered this in previous IRCCs but I wanted some garb that I could wear as the Chirurgeon.

I hope to make the following: Chemise - with embroidered collar and cuffs; Under skirt; Over dress; Apron; Hat; Coif; Necklace; Belt and a few other things (not sure what yet).




Third Update


It has been a very busy month. Starting a new job and working ten-hour nightshifts is new to me, and we also had our May Crown event. So I have had to do a lot of adjusting.

The only item I have been able to complete is my chemise. I used linen and the pattern from my first IRCC challenge. Most of the seams are machine sewn for better strength. The collar and cuffs were hand drawn in by using the pull thread system. The collar and cuffs had rope sewn in as the ties and the edges were hand couched with gold thread. The hem was hand sewn. The photos show it on the mannequin on its own and with the orange under skirt and blue necklace.

I need to get really busy and finish the rest.










Second Update


Well the last month has been hectic. After I sent in last month's update I got a job. I have been attending training courses since and finish this Wednesday afternoon. So lots of study and homework. Being a military veteran there was also Anzac Day as well.

So this month I have only one item to submit and that is my completed underskirt. I used an orange light weight drill cotton so it would hold the over-dress out, but still be cool enough to wear in our hot Western Australian summers. I have also kept it longer so it can be worn with other garb.

The material is three times my width and gathered using curtain tape. I did try pleating it but it didn't quite work out. So it's something I need to learn. The hem has felt in it to help weight it down and to provide a kick hem so I don't trip.




Material for under skirt



Skirt with curtain tape



Finished skirt



Next month I will start on the two aprons and chemise. My inspiration for these are the drawing I sent at the beginning.



Material for multipanel apron



Material for straight apron and overdress.









First Update

This is my third year entering and I'm still very much a novice in Italian and sewing. I have found each year something new to add to my skills. This year it is the leather work and hat making. I also intend on improving my embroidery skills by doing some more on my chemise and coif and my hand and machine sewing. I must admit I am enjoying this challenge again. I have started to work on my chemise, 2 different aprons and the coif. They will be in next mnoth's update.

These have been my inspiration paintings for this years challenge. I lost my job a couple of weeks ago so have been pretty down in the dumps and desperately looking for a new one. So this has enabled me to finish 3 items.






These photos are of the finished belt I made. I used raw leather and a recycled belt buckle and edging taper. The belt is long enough to wrap around twice to hold the apron up like in the example picture.

1. Bent the belt and roughened to soften the stiffness out of it.
2. Punched holes in it with a hole punch.
3. Dyed it using a leather dye. (Need to find name of colour. Sorry threw the bottle out).
4. Buffed it up using Dubin to seal it and give it some moisture protection.
5. Used rivet style holders to keep buckle in place.
6. Glued the tip edger in place.






My hat, from inspiration picture. This was made using raffia.

1. Bought raffia. Not sure how to make that stuff.
2. I was shown how to weave the raffia by hand by a local Aboriginal Lady near my work. I would spend my luch hours with her and then buy her lunch. It needed to be wet as you went along. This gave a tighter and more uniformed weave as it dried.
3. New lengths were added in individually and woven in from the bottom. So then the top looked neat.
4. It was then coiled like a rope and sewed together using raffia again. It also needed to be wet when doing this. So it would dry tighter.
5. Once finished it would be soaked in water and worn till it dried so it would mould to the shape of my head.







Blue bead necklace, finished. I went for a simplistic necklace this time like in the inspiration pictures. I used different size blue plastic beads and small silver spacers with a ring clasp. The smaller beads were put on first ending at a small silver bead by the clasp. After the 11th bead I went up a size for 5 beads with silver spacer. Then 1 large bead. Then repeated the opposite side so it was a mirror effect. I used commercially bought jewellery string.

















HOME ENTRANTS FINALISTS RESULTS