IRCC 8

The Eighth Annual Italian Renaissance Costuming Challenge


April 1 to July 31, 2018


HOME ENTRANTS FINALISTS RESULTS




Rhonda Wright
Colorado, USA

Hi, My name is Rhonda Wright and I am from Colorado, USA. I am familiar with sewing as I have made clothes for my grandchildren but, am a novice to the Renaissance period of clothing. I have always enjoyed sewing and currently I do some alterations for friends and family.

I want to construct a child's period costume for my 13 year old granddaughter for nobility. I have a slight handicap with mobility issues so fitting for myself is a challenge. The dress that I want to construct is an early 1500s Italian style. It will consist of a camicia and drawers, an under dress and a gown. I also want to make a necklace, pocket and partlet.

I have purchased a fine white linen for the camicia and drawers. I have also purchased a beautiful green silk damask for the under dress and am looking for a green cotton velvet for the gown.


First Update


I have completed the camicia and drawers. I decided to do some embroidery on the items. The camicia that inspired me was in a painting called Guiditta by Vincenzo Catena. I added a simple flower replica embroidery to the sleeves and neckline just above the pleats as I plan to have this showing as an accent for the dress. The camicia was pleated and embroidery was sewn on just 5/8 inch below the pleats.








The drawers were also embroidered at the lower hem. This was an afterthought at the request of my granddaughter.

I look forward to working on the underskirt and dress next!







Second Update


This month I didnt accomplish all that I wanted to but next month I will be on holiday and can accomplish much more. She has a petticoat and an underbodice. Here are pictures of the progress.





I am also glad that my material has arrived from England. The silk damask is for the dress and the green velvet for the overdress and accents. Absolutely beautiful.

I have also completed the necklace for the dress and plan to use the cross as part of the girdle. [Bella: unfortunately the necklace can't be counted towards the layer requirements as there were no photos provided of the making of it.]





Third Update

June passed so quickly but I did accomplish my goal to finish the undergarments. In addition to the previously completed camicia and drawers, we now have a roped under-skirt and under-body.








Her jewlery is also complete.





Final Update

(Bella: please note that Rhonda has provided me with all the required in-process shots. Due to this being a busy time for me with study and assignments, I have saved time by not using all of them in this update, but will of course be using them for evaluation purposes.)



July passed so quickly and was the most exciting phase of the whole competition. I changed the sleeve style to a four-pane sleeve and I feel that it really made the dress.








I am really impressed with the outcome. I look forward to taking the final pictures this weekend.













HOME ENTRANTS FINALISTS RESULTS